Electrician Home Electrician Training Electrician Jobs Electrician Blog
Register for Electrician
Jobs & Training

Electrician Articles

  • Find us on Facebook

  • Latest Articles from Be-a-Careers

  • What is the Salary for an Electrician?

    Electrician SalaryOver the next decade, the demand for electricians is anticipated to increase by up to 25%. According to the National Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is one of the highest increases in demand for any profession in the United States. As a result, the average electrician today enjoys a competitive salary and excellent job security.

    The average salary for an electrician is approximately $48,000 per year. Contractors and hourly wage earners can make up to around $30 per hour. Of course, some electricians can earn substantially more, depending on their specialization and employer.


    Approximately 75% of all electricians work in the construction industry. The other 25% of electricians may work in general maintenance, telecommunications, factories, elevator maintenance—amongst other sectors. There’s a wide variation of jobs available for electricians in the United States today, in both private and public institutions.

    Around 10% of all electricians own their own businesses, which can increase your earning potential substantially. If you choose to go into business for yourself, however, you will need to have an excellent understanding of additional business concepts. For example, you’ll need to learn how to market your business so that you have a steady stream of work coming in. You may also need to learn accounting, management and organization skills.

    Education and Licensing

    In order to become an electrician, you will need to go through several specific steps. You will need to gain a basic understanding of the fundamentals of electrical work from a technical school or two-year college. Once you have learned the basics, you will then need to find an apprenticeship. This process can take up to 4 years, but bear in mind that you will be earning a salary or wage as you learn on the job.

    You will also need to pass a licensing exam if you wish to work unsupervised. This ensures that you have learned both state and federal regulations for electrical work.

    On the Job

    When it comes to tools, electricians are some of the most well equipped professionals in the world. On any given day, you may be working with suppliers, power drills, screwdrivers, hacksaws, and many more types of equipment.

    Electricians spend a considerable amount of time installing, maintaining and repairing electrical wiring. This means that you will need to be fit enough to carry heavy equipment and work for extended periods in tight spaces.

    It’s important to learn the proper procedures for working with dangerous equipment to avoid electrical shock and other potentially dangerous situations. This is one reason why electricians must have extensive training prior to working on any job unsupervised.

    Many electricians will be retiring over the next decade, leaving several opportunities for newly licensed professionals. Additionally, as the world population continues to increase, there will be an even higher demand for new residential and business construction. All of these new buildings will require electrical work. If you are considering a career in the construction or maintenance industries, then electrical work may be an excellent opportunity for you.


    Print Friendly
    This entry was posted in Electrician. Bookmark the permalink.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Other Articles you may like...

    Other Careers